A few weeks ago we installed openX. Untill now we had been using our own code to manage all advertising, but I wanted to see what a 3rd party solution could offer us.
A few personal notes :
- Installation went smooth, just a couple of minutes.
- Setting up publishers, banner zones, advertisers and capaign took somewhat longer to figure out, but still ok. Once I figured out the correct order and to make sure to set the correct dimensions of a banner and banner zone, it was actually quite simple. To be honest, I didn’t read the manual 😉
- Reporting is ok, but it turns out openX counts a lot more clicks then our advertising partners do. I’m still trying to figure out the cause of this.
- Some stuff I was hoping to find, but did not see. First of all GeoTargeting, I would love to be able to set up different ads for our Czech users. Secondly, the stats are limitid to the number of impressions and clicks. Advertisers are interested in unique impressions etc.
- The main downside however of a self-hosted solution like this one, is the webhosting. Displaying an ad on 1.5M pages a day, gets you a 1.5M extra impressions on your webserver. Therefor we decided to only use it for specific new campaigns. For instance if we’d like to give a campaign exactly 1M impressions or when we want to run a campaign over a fixed number of days. The kind of functionality implemented in openX, but not in our code at SoccerProject.